Spousal support is an agreement stating a series of payments to the separated or ex-spouse. It is also called alimony. This helps the spouse in getting the financial support from the separated spouse. Here, the income or financial support is given by the spouse with more income or assets.
The alimony or spousal support is given to the spouse with the help of a lawyers. The amount of support and the length of the time and the amount to be paid by the spouse will be explained to you by your lawyer that you choose and the rules varies from states to countries.
One of the crucial points you should note here is, alimony or the spousal support is granted only to the couple who are legally married. Usually there are various types of alimony or spousal supports and each one depends on the individual needs and on various circumstances.
These will be clearly explained by your divorce or family lawyer. To get your lawyers help for the alimony, you need to approach him/her at first and they will go through a certain process, which is as follows.
Lawyers support in getting spousal support
Once you approach a lawyer for getting the spousal support, he/she will go through the following common process and it may vary from lawyer to lawyer.
- At first, the lawyer will help you by explaining to you all issues related to the spousal support.
- Later, you will have to go through various queries asked by your lawyer, and you need to answer all of them correctly.
- They also tell you what factors the judge will consider in giving you the approval for the alimony like length of the marriage, roles of each spouse during marriage, taking care of children, etc.
- Once the lawyer explains to you the factors he/she may ask for you some of the proofs for presenting them in the court. Later, once all set, the lawyer will make a petition in the court regarding the alimony and prepares you for the questions that you may get in the court of law.
- You should be well prepared for the queries that you may get. Once, the judge considers all those factors trustworthy and based on your needs, they will give the approval for the spousal support for a period of time. This may vary in various states and some courts may give you both the spousal and the child support.
- If you have selected a reputed and experienced lawyer, he/she may help you all the way as we discussed.
It’s sensible to take the advice of experienced and skilled lawyers, so that they can work for you for optimal benefit.