For a good circuit, a good circuit design is the prerequisite. A good circuit created is the critical part of the task. A good circuit offers the foundation for good operation of the circuit. It enhances the life of the circuit. A good circuit contains minimum components and caters to the needs of its application. A good circuit is capable enough to offer self protection against hazards.
In early days of development, designing used to be done on a piece of paper or fabrication used to be done directly on a dotted PCB with real time designing. At least, this is how amateurs used to do it. Today, the designers have the aid of software CAD for better and neat designing. This article discusses things to take care of while designing circuits.
A good circuit is the result of simple things that you need to keep in mind while designing them.
Here are the points:
- The first thing that has to be kept in mind is the application or the motive of the circuit designing. It decides all other factors that rule the designing process.
- The voltage is a major thing to be considered while designing a circuit. The application decides it all. The voltage ratings are dependent on the output requirements (power and voltage).
- Every component on the circuit is rated by its voltage, current and thermal ratings, etc. Hence, it should be ensured to adhere to the ratings of the components. Otherwise, the components can get damaged, which makes the circuit fail to function.
- In case of DC circuits, the polarities of the power circuit and the components should be taken into consideration while connecting them. Connecting them in wrongly can lead to short circuiting, which damages the components and the circuit. The components and their polarities should be marked at the time of designing as well.
- Proper designing and placement of components should be decided beforehand using a good PCB designing software if possible.
- Minimal number of wires should be used and as far as possible, they should be avoided. Minimum track lengths should be used. This ensures minimum power loss.
- All the grounds of the circuit must be shorted. You can use a common ground node for the purpose.
- Fuses, diodes and voltage regulators should be used for protecting circuits.
- Wherever undue heating is happening, a heat sink should be installed.
- After fabrication, the circuit should be checked for unwanted shorting. Unwanted shorting can lead to improper functioning and damage to the circuit.