Computer devices, applications and software are delicate and vulnerable to threats. They can be exploited easily when proper care is not taken. Small businesses’ computers contains critical information related to the business like customer details, business details, partners details, etc. If their computer or application is not protected properly, they may land in trouble. So, SMB owners must be alert and protect the information stored in computers and applications from various threats like Virus, Trojans, Worms, Spywares, etc.
The chances of your computer getting infected is very less when not connected to a network or to the Internet. But, for a business it is very essential to be connected to various clients, partners, employees, etc., and you cannot afford to keep your computers isolated from networks and Internet. This article discusses a few basic techniques that will help you from not getting infected when connected in a network or server or Internet.
Some techniques from which you can prevent malicious computer programs like Virus, Trojans, Worms, etc., from attacking your businesses’ computers and applications or software are:
- First thing to know about virus is that it never enters your system unless you download and install it. It enters your system when you download an infected file or boot your system with an infected disc. So, you have to be very careful while downloading and installing files. Scan the files before you download it onto your hard disc.
- Never open an attachment in an e-mail unless you know the sender and you know what will it be in the attachment.
- Install the best anti-virus software on your computer and update it regularly and add patches whenever required. If the anti-virus is not updated regularly the computer may not perform well.
- Update other software regularly that are installed on your computer because outdated software are most vulnerable to exploit.
- Do not allow browser to run programs automatically. Nowadays, a new threat called “macro virus” is associated with spreadsheets and word processors and attacks your system whenever they are run on the browser.
- It is always recommended to boot your computer through floppy disc, rather than booting it in your hard drive. Open the software regularly and check if there are any updates pending. Also, do not ignore the notifications that are related to the updates of the software.
However, it is advisable to keep a back up of your important data in a secured location or in any physical memory like CDs, DVDs, hard drives, etc., in case if your important data got infected by Virus or Trojans. Therefore, update anti-virus and other software regularly to protect your software and your computer.
website monitoring service