Nowadays many people are having pets and treat them as if it is one of their family members. So, it is obvious that wherever they go, they take dogs with them. When it comes to traveling with dogs, you need to take many precautions because many risks are associated with pets to pet owners when traveled with them in a car.
Most car accidents will happen when drivers engage in phones or messaging, or with their pet in the vehicle. Even though many people know that pets wander here and there inside a car (when windows are closed) or sometimes they can even jumps on car controls, they try to ignore. Jumping pets on these car controls can distract the drivers and can result severe injuries or accidents.
Here are some safety tips when you are driving with your pet:
- Make sure not to allow pets to move freely around your car or to sit them in your lap when you are driving because it may distract you and allows you drive in a worst state which can lead to injuries. Or sometimes your pet may project on other drivers or on you in case of short stops or brakes you apply and this may cause severe injuries. So, restrain your pet dog by using a safety barriers(car harness, crate or barrier) to avoid accidents.
- Do not leave the dog alone in a car in bad temperatures because it may get heat stroke. In addition, it may become bored or anxious, leading to destructive behavior. Even it can eat any objects that should not be ingested or it may be stolen or it may escape on his own.
- Buy a dog restraint system to check the behavior of animal.
- Some dogs do not like car rides and they become anxious, and carsick. Sometimes behaviors of dogs make drivers distracted. So, you need to take extra caution when driving. So for this problem to handle, you don’t give meals before riding.
- Keep a water bottle in the car for your dog to prevent them from hot and dehydration conditions.
- If your car breaks down in the middle of the trip, you and your pet compulsory becomes stressed but pet feels more stressed than you. In such situations, first handle the dog and then handle the car problem.
- It is better to lock your pet in a carriages so that it will not wander here and there. And also it will not destruct the interior of the car and it wont distract you when driving.
The above are some of the safety tips for dog owners when driving to reach to the destine places without any injuries or accidents.