A translation memory is a database that stores the segments which have been previously translated sentences or sentence like units. A translation memory system stores the words, phrases and paragraphs that have already been translated and they assist the human translators. It stores the translation units which are the pairs of source text and its corresponding translation in language. A translation memory consists of text segments in a source language and their translations into one or more target languages. These segments can be blocks, paragraphs, sentences, or phrases. Translation memory managers are suitable for translating technical documentation and documents containing specialized vocabularies.
Benefits of Translation Memory:
- Use of the translation memory tools and software improves the process of translation, because translation memories remember previously translated material .
- Translation memory can be used for searching and comparing the context, in which certain word is used in the text.
- With the use of translation memory, translators working on one project or with terminology of the same industry, can use common translation memory for consistency throughout the project.
- Translation memory helps the translators to translate documents in a wide variety of formats without the use of the software.
- It also helps in reducing the costs involved in the long term translation projects.
- It also helps to ensure the translator that the document is completely translated.
- Translation memory saves lot of time and the money involved in the process of translation for large documentation projects for a business.
- Documents such as software applications, websites, user manuals and technical guides, tend to be repetitive and are updated regularly by making the use of translation memory.
The above are the benefits of translation memory.