The freestanding electric fireplace doesn’t have a chimney, and the the user can install it any where in the house. These units do not have to be placed against a wall either. As it runs with electricity it doesn’t need gas, hence saving the money. A free standing electric fireplace has flip of a switch with which the fireplace heats up and a fan helps in blowing the hot air out into the room. An electric fireplace emits 4,500 to 5,500 BTUs of heat.
These electric fire places come with different features and in various styles and designs. The electric fireplace mantel functions more than just supporting trim around the fireplace unit and it also has shelves which can be more functional. The manufactures have developed amazing features in these fire places with the help of advanced design and technology, making the logs look real and make sound that simulates the live fire. Some free standing fire places comes with covered glass doors, these glass doors will prevent the spread of the embers and ashes.
Although these fire places require low maintenance, some precautions have to be taken to ensure safety and maximize the lifespan and efficiency. Given below are the some of the tips to maintain a free standing electric fire place:
- Any flammable object needs to be removed from the area surrounding the free standing electric fireplace.
- Regularly change the bulbs in the fire place to keep it in perfect working condition and follow the instructions of the manufacturer.
- Clean inside and out of the fire place with a soft, dry cloth to remove dust and other particles that may create fire hazards.
- Do not place the electric fireplaces near a water source, fish tanks, water heaters and sinks.
- A freestanding electric fireplace shuts down due to insufficient power supply.
If the users maintains the electric fire places accordingly, they can enjoy many years of ambient lighting and clean heat.