Spices are the parts of the plants having specific aroma and flavor. Each spice is found to have an unique aroma and flavor. These spices when added to the dishes give a unique taste to the dishes. Every spice has its own application in variety of dishes. Generally, the flavors of spices are classified as strong, mild, sweet, salt and delicate. Unlike other ingredients in food, spices are added in small quantities, but such a small quantity of spice, enhances the taste of whole dish.
Let us know about the flavors given by some of the common spices.
- Cloves: These give hot and strong fruity flavor when added.
- Cardamom: It gives delicate and sweet flavor.
- Cinnamon: It gives warm and sweet flavor.
- Cumin: Penetrating musty earth flavor.
- Dill: Dill is strongly aromatic and gives bitter flavor.
- Fenugreek: It has bitter maple-like flavor.
- Ginger: The flavor of ginger is sweet and warm.
- Mustard: Mustard has fresh aroma and has bitter taste.
- Rosemary: It has fresh aroma and very sweet flavor.
- Oregano: It has slightly pungent and distinct flavor.
- Pepper: It has got spicy, earthy and hot flavor. It is a strong penetrating flavoring agent.
The above are some of the spices and the flavors added by them to food.