There are many technologies emerging in display devices like TVs. Every technology excels in particular feature of display and has particular method of display. Different technologies used in TVs are:
LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) televisions are thinner and lighter and provide much sharper and clearer picture than CRTs of similar size. They are ideally used for cell phone displays, computer monitors and to view still images.
- LCD TVs have a flat screen so there will be no picture distortion and don’t have screen “burn in” like curved tube TVs.
- In general, LCD viewing angle is 175 degrees. The picture can be viewed 87 degrees from each side.
- LCD TVs are very economical to use and screens less than 35 are fairly inexpensive.
- LCD TVs are backlit and blocks outside light. So, they are suitable for natural lighting situations.
- Most LCD TVs have a half life (50% of original brightness) span of over 30,000 hours (16 years of viewing at 6 hours per day).
- LCD sizes generally range from 13 to 65 but some manufacturer will offer up to 100 sizes.
A Plasma Display Panel (PDP) is a flat panel display used in large TV displays. They have better and accurate color generation than LCDs, and with far display, wider viewing angles, and do not experience degradation at high angles compared to LCD. Plasma displays are ideal for viewing motion video in large displays.
- Plasma screen sizes generally ranges from 32 to 84 but some offer screen sizes up to 100.
- Plasma pixel, technology provides a brighter picture with more contrast between the blacks and whites than standard TV.
- In general, plasma TVs viewing angle is 160 to 180 degrees and picture can be viewed from any angle.
- On an average Plasma TVs have a half life (50% of brightness) of 50,000 to 70,000 hours (20 years of viewing 6 hours a day to 50,000 hours).
- Some plasma TVs are provided with upgradeable video cards that which helps to match with future technology.
HDTV or High-Definition Television is a digital television broadcasting system offering a higher resolution compared to regular television systems. HDTV is digitally broadcast unlike earlier analog broadcasting, because digital television (DTV) signals require reduced bandwidth because of digital video compression.
HDTV will not have standard TV problems, like low quality sharpness, troubles with brightness or contrast, spots, other visual, or audio imperfections, problems like double images (ghosting), and weak signals. HD television provides clearer pictures with excellent sound quality, a wider viewing screen and up-to-date scanning. HDTV will provide more and superior channels provided by regular satellite or cable television with theater system experience.
LED (Light Emitting Diode) TV is an LCD TV that uses LEDs for back lighting, instead of using the fluorescent lights (as it creates more black spots). They are ideally used for low-energy indicators, as substitutes for traditional light sources in general lighting and automotive lighting.
- LED TV will currently more than a standard LCD or plasma TV
- LED TV has got great looks and very easy to Install.
- Edge-lit LED television will consume 30-40% of less power than LCD or plasma TV. But backlit LEDs will consume more power.
- Brighter picture can be viewed with LED television compared to a standard LCD TV
- LED TV that is backlit, with local dimming and RGB LEDs, will have an enhanced picture and better contrast ratio and colour accuracy compared to standard LCD TV.
- It has a long lasting life and also eco friendly
OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) TVs depend on light emitting polymer technology. Its features including,
- In OLED TVs, there is no need for backlights or extra heaters or coolers, so there is less power consumption.
- As OLED materials has the capacity to support full spectrum of visible light, so there will be higher contrast and it has high-speed refresh rates.
- OLEDs are much faster than LCDs. Fast motion and quick eye movement pictures are more realistic.
- It has larger viewing angle and for near-eye applications, it provides more pleasant viewing without distortion.
- The OLED TVs will make virtual images to look realistic and can be viewed easily for longer periods.
Before purchasing a television, know the difference between each technology and purchase the one which has features you desire and comes in your budget.