Earth Hour is a worldwide event that asks households and businesses to turn off their lights and non-essential electrical appliances for one hour on the evening of 29 March at 8 pm local time until 9 pm to encourage electricity conservation and thus lower carbon emissions. It may also help decrease light pollution, and in 2008, coincides with the beginning of National Dark Sky Week in the USA. For this event most of the global icons and monuments were participated in different countries, now I am giving some of the global icon list which is participated in earth hour 2008.
United States Of America:
- Atlanta: Coca Cola Headquarters, Georgia Aquarium-largest in the world.
- Chicago: Sears Tower, John Hancock Building, Soldier Field (home of Chicago Bears football), Boeing Headquarters Building, Merchandise Mart, Drake Hotel, Chicago City Hall, C N A Building, Blue Cross/Blue Shield Building, Chicago Theater Marquees in downtown, Hard Rock Cafe marquee at Wrigley Field (home of the Chicago Cubs).
- San Francisco: San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco Bay Bridge – San Francisco Town Hall and the head offices of USA IT Partner Hewlett-Packard Company (Palo Alto, CA). Phoenix: City government buildings
- Sydney: Harbor Bridge, Opera House, Centre point Tower, Coke sign on William St, NSW Parliament, Town Hall, Carrabelle House, Luna Park, Buildings facing Circular Quay, Blues Point Tower.
- Melbourne: The Arts Centre, Rialto Towers, Luna Park (St Kilda), Melbourne Aquarium, The Jam Factory, Federation Square, Melbourne Town Hall and Melbourne Zoo.
- Adelaide: Adelaide Town Hall, Adelaide Central Markets, Victoria Square Fountain, the Advertiser building, Hilton Adelaide.
- Brisbane: Casino, Story Bridge, City Hall, Victoria Bridge, William Jolly Bridge, Brisbane Square, a number of State Government parliamentary buildings
- Perth: The WACA (WA Cricket Ground)
- Toronto: All City of Toronto Buildings, CN Tower, Ontario Science Centre, Ontario Place, Honest Ed’s, Toronto Eaton Centre.
- Dublin: Office of Public Works, non-essential lights of Government Buildings, Customs House, Dublin City buildings.
And many more countries are participated in this earth hour 2008 event.